Sodium Lauryl Ether Sulfate (SLES)
sodium lauryl ether sulfate (SLES) with commercial name of Texapon is an anionic surfactant with CH3(CH2)11(OCH2CH2)nOSO3Na as its chemical formula that is applicable in so many personal care products like (soaps, shampoos, toothpaste, etc.). SLES is derived from natural oils like coconut oil.
sodium lauryl ether sulfate is an anionic surfactant which is matchable with both fat and water. except SLES sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS)
ammonium lauryl sulfate (ALS) and sodium pareth sulfate are materials used as surfactants and cosmetic products primarily material.
Some Properties of these materials:
- Foaming agent
- Cleaning and emulsifying agent
Some Properties of SLES
|Property||Value and Description|
|Molecular weight||496.7 g/mol|
lauryl ether sulfate sodium
disodium 1-dodecoxydodecane sulfate
Texapon or Sodium Lauryl Ether Sulfate (SLES) applications
- detergents & cleaners (leading application with more than USD 450 million overall market in 2015 due to gminsights reports) this segment include a wide variety of products such as; creams, lotions, soaps, shampoos, facial creams and cleansers, toothpaste and etc.
- personal care products
- application in medical, antimicrobial, and agricultural chemicals
- and as a more special application: application in catalysts, adsorbents, anion exchangers, stabilizers and fillers for polymers.
The principal surfactants application in shampoos is to convey the shampoo cleansing properties through the washing process. There are a wide variety ranges of this surfactants, but mainly anionic surfactants are used for this kind of applications. because of less irritation property and high foaming property of ammonium salts many manufacturers increase the dosage of this product as a surfactant in cleaning products.
The advantages of sodium salt
- It is less PH sensitive.
2. The synthesis of sodium salt is cost-effective.
3. The foaming property of sodium salts is stronger and is more sustainable than ammonium salts.
SLES is synthesized by ethoxylation of dodecyl alcohol, that is manufactured industrially from natural oils like coconut oil. The final ethoxylate is transformed to a half ester of sulfuric acid, that is neutralized by changing it to the sodium salt.
flourish knowledge of people due to cleanliness all over the world will likely augment demands for sodium lauryl ether sulfate or SLES market in recent years. Global appeal for laundry detergents was around 30 million tons in 2015 and will speed up at over 5% CAGR in years ahead.
As health effects of this product we can say that Sodium lauryl ether sulfate is counted as a skin, eye, and lung irritant and also it can include carcinogenic materials like 1,4-dioxane among production process. other detrimental by-products of the production process may include ethylene oxide, which is counted as carcinogenic substances in the environment.
- Jamal, S. H., Yunus, W. M. Z. W., Kasim, N. A. M., Khim, O. K., & Ahmad, M. (2015). PREPARATION AND CHARACTERIZATION OF SODIUM LAURYL ETHER SULPHATE MODIFIED LAYERED DOUBLE HYDROXIDES. Jurnal Teknologi, 76(3).