Glucono delta lactone, also known as GDL for short, is used as a food additive in the food industry as E575. This compound is also used in cosmetics and as a coagulant in tofu processing. Shanghai Chemex is one of the most reputable suppliers of this chemical in the world.
Physical and Chemical Properties:
This compound with the chemical formula C6H10O6 appears as a white crystalline powder that is almost odorless and has a sweet taste; The most important physical and chemical properties of this compound can be summarized in the following table:
|Melting Point(° C)||150–153|
|Solubility in water||Freely soluble in water|
|Solubility||Sparingly soluble in ethanol,|
insoluble in ether and acetone.
|PH||The freshly prepared aqueous solution has a pH of 3.6|
|Chemical Structure Depiction|
Glucono Delta Lactone Production Process:
As a derivative of lactone it is a type of polyhydroxy acid and is a cyclic ester that is hydrolyzed in an aqueous environment to form a mixture of Gluconic acid, delta lactone, and gamma lactone.
- In the first stage, a crystal suspension containing (3 to 10% of crystalline material) is produced in a supersaturated solution of gluconic acid that is kept at a temperature of 65 to 75 degrees.
- The second stage involves controlling the cooling to a temperature of 40 to 45 ° C, followed by a period until the crystal is ready at a constant temperature. The compound may also be obtained from an aqueous solution of gluconic acid from dehydration, which involves the distillation of alcohol, followed by the crystallization of an alcohol-containing residue.
Glucono Delta Lactone Uses:
Glucono delta lactone can be used in a variety of industries including food, beverage, pharmaceutical, cosmetic, and various industries.
- As an additive in food production
- As a separator, acidifier, cooker, pickle, yeast, and preservative in food production
- In beverages as a gelling agent and preservative
- As a skin buffer in pharmaceuticals
- In cosmetics As a skin buffer
- in concrete to reduce the proportion of water and cement
Glucono Delta Lactone is a quality improver in the Production of Salami and Meat Products:
The use of GDL in the production and processing of meat and canned food can improve the color, thereby reducing the use of toxic sodium nitrite. This compound also has emulsifying properties, antiseptic effect, etc, which improves the quality of canned meat. This substance is used in the preparation and production of processed meats such as dried sausages and salami.
This combination is generally considered a very safe and effective supplement; However, some may be sensitive to it and may experience the following allergic symptoms:
- Bladder irritation
- Back pain
- Skin Contact: Immediately flush skin with water.
- Inhalation: move the person to the fresh air.
- Eye Contact: Rinse eyes with water for at least 15-20 minutes.
- Ingestion: Do not induce vomiting. Get medical aid immediately. Call a poison control center.
Packing and Storage:
Keep in a cool, dry place. Close the container tightly and keep away from incompatible materials and heat.