Sodium tripolyphosphate (STPP), known as triphosphoric acid or Penta sodium salt, is a mineral chemical with the formula Na5P3O10. Sodium tripolyphosphate is used as the main ingredient in detergents, cleaners, and soaps in various forms including gels, liquids, and powders. Many household cleaning products, including surface cleaners, and cosmetics, contain sodium tripolyphosphate. Shanghai Chemex is one of the most reputable suppliers of this chemical in the world.
Physical and chemical properties:
This compound is a white salt that is available in two forms anhydrous and pentahydrate. Like other salts, this compound is soluble in water and insoluble in alcohols such as ethanol. Due to its polymer structure, it is very stable compared to other phosphates, but its stability is less than tetrasodium pyrophosphate. This compound can absorb moisture in the air, so it must be degassed for storage; In the table below some of the chemical and physical properties of this product are mentioned:
|pH||9,1 – 10,2|
|Melting Point(° C)||622|
|Solubility in water(g/100 mL)||14.5|
|Solubility||Insoluble in ethanol|
|Chemical Structure Depiction|
Sodium tripolyphosphate production process:
- The raw materials for the production of sodium are triphosphate, sodium carbonate, and phosphoric acid. To produce it, first after combining sodium carbonate and phosphoric acid, two salts called monosodium phosphate and disodium phosphate are produced, and by combining these two salts together at a temperature of more than 300 ° C, sodium tripolyphosphate is produced.
2 Na2HPO4 + NaH2PO4 → Na5P3O10 + 2 H2O
- The second method is to use a wet process, the steps of which can be as follows: The reaction of phosphoric acid with a sodium compound and the formation of a reaction mixture consisting of an aqueous solution of Na2HPO4 and NaH2PO4 with a pH above 6. Heat the reaction mixture to a temperature in the range of 400 to 550 ° C and perform a crystallization step. Heat the compound at a high temperature up to 700 ° C and then purify and finally produce a pure STPP product.
Sodium Tripolyphosphate Uses:
- It has a great effect on detergents and in washing heavy metals in water such as calcium and magnesium, which causes the formation of insoluble metal salts, thus reducing the ability to wash or stop completely.
- This compound is used in food as a preservative.
- The use of this material, due to its effect in the removal of heavy metals, has an effective effect on water purification, and this property of phosphates, including sodium tripolyphosphate, has led to its use in the treatment of industrial effluents.
- The presence of small amounts of this material can enhance the flotation process of copper ore and be a cost-effective product with high efficiency in mining.
- It is used in the formulation of many health products, including mouthwashes, toothpaste, hair conditioners, shampoos, permanent and temporary hair dyes, and cosmetics and skincare products.
- In leather tanning, it is used as a covering agent and synthetic tanning
- It is also used in the paper industry as an agent resistant to petroleum products during paper printing
- In the ceramic industry, this material is used as a factor to reduce the viscosity of the glaze and spread the clay evenly.
- Its use in the dyeing industry is also used as an effective factor in preserving dye and corrosion in textiles, rubber, fermentation, and antifreeze.
Sodium Tripolyphosphate in Detergent:
This compound is widely used in detergents and cleaners. It leads to the penetration of detergents into the fibers of clothes and other surfaces and by creating chelating with water hardening ions, it produces more bubbles and foam and also increases the dispersing property. Due to its alkaline properties, it can help remove stains and also neutralize and soften the acid in water by neutralizing it.
How to use Sodium Tripolyphosphate in Meat Processing?
This salt can cause freshness in meat and seafood and slow down the spoilage of these foods. This chemical helps maintain the natural color of meat and fish and improves their texture, which is done by retaining moisture in the food and slowing down their drying.
Buy Sodium Tripolyphosphate:
Sodium is triphosphate is one of the useful compounds in various industries including detergent production and water treatment industries. To place an order and find out the Sodium Tripolyphosphate price, you can contact our experts in Shanghai Chemex.
The vapors of this compound are toxic and can cause allergies and redness when in contact with the skin and eyes. also, Excessive use of this combination leads to symptoms such as vomiting, headache, decreased urination, bloating and abdominal pain, dizziness, and irregular heartbeat. Therefore, people who deal with this substance should use special glasses, masks, and work clothes.
Packing and storage:
Store in a cool, with proper ventilation, and keep away from incompatible substances.