EDTA 2NA, or EDTA disodium, known as ethylene diamine tetraacetic acid, has the chemical formula C10H16N2O8Na2, which appears as a colorless crystalline solid. This compound is used to separate metal ions and reduce their reaction, especially in many industrial and cosmetic products. Its use in cosmetics increases the effectiveness of cosmetics as well as stabilizing solid soaps and many detergents. In addition to the above, this combination is also used in a variety of fertilizers and cleaners, color film solutions, and pH adjusters. Shanghai Chemex is one of the most reputable suppliers of this chemical in the world.
Physical and Chemical Properties:
This chemical compound is a solid, colorless, water-soluble polycarboxylic amino acid that acts as a potent chelating agent to block polyvalent ions such as calcium. Therefore, it is used in the pharmaceutical, food, water purification, and cosmetics industries; The most important physical and chemical properties of this material can be summarized in the following table:
|Full Name||disodium ethylene diamine tetraacetic acid|
|Molecular weight (g/mol)||336.21|
||White crystalline powder|
|Density (g/mL at 25°C)||1.01|
|Melting point (°C)||242|
|Solubility||Completely soluble in water|
|Chemical Structure Depiction
How to Prepare Disodium Edta?
The production of this product was done by the reaction of ethylenediamine and chloroacetic acid by Ferdinand Munz. Today, EDTA is synthesized from the reaction of ethylenediamine, formaldehyde, and sodium cyanide. This pathway leads to the production of sodium salt, which is then converted to acid. This process is used annually to produce 80,000 tons of this compound.
- H2NCH2CH2NH2 + 4CH2O + 4 NaCN + 4 H2O → (NaO2CCH2)2NCH2CH2N(CH2CO2Na)2 + 4NH3
- (NaO2CCH2)2NCH2CH2N(CH2CO2Na)2 + 4 HCl → (HO2CCH2)2NCH2CH2N(CH2CO2H)2 + 4NaCl
Disodium EDTA Uses:
This salt is used in a wide range of different industries, which are described below:
- As mentioned, ethylene diamine tetraacetic acid is used to separate metal ions in aqueous solutions, for example in the textile industry, this material is used so that metal ions on the fabric do not change its color and the effect of these impurities is neutralized.
- EDTA 2Na is also used in medicine and dentistry. For example, this acid can prevent blood clots and can be used as an anticoagulant. Some surgeries, especially eye surgery prevents the growth of bacteria and reduces the number of bacteria during the operation.
- This salt has been used in dentistry to isolate calcium channels.
- In the cosmetics industry, it can play a role in increasing the effectiveness and impact of products on the skin and it is used in the production of creams, oils, and hair care products.
- In the detergent industry, it can have a positive effect and play a stabilizing role, so it is used in the formulation of detergent and bleach products. like EDTA 4Na
- In the paper industry, it prevents the function of metal ions.
- This composition is used in agriculture and chemical fertilizers.
Buy EDTA 2Na:
Disodium EDTA is one of the useful compounds in various industries including detergent production and water treatment industries. To place an order and find out the price of this product, you can contact our experts in Shanghai Chemex.
Is Disodium EDTA Toxic:
EDTA can cause toxicity, on the one hand, its release into the environment will cause environmental hazards, this product reduces the absorption of heavy metals by entering the soil, and on the other hand, its entry into groundwater causes pollution of these resources. On the other hand, it may cause dangers in industrial and laboratory environments.
Therefore, it is better to observe all health and safety points when working with this material and use special clothes and gloves as much as possible. Consumption of high concentrations may lead to anemia, fever, and chills, and inhalation of this substance in high concentrations may cause headaches and dizziness.
Packing and Storage:
Use suitable packages to store these materials and its storage place should be a cool and dry place away from heat and direct sunlight.