Propylene glycol is a very widely used chemical, propylene glycol is a weakly acidic compound that is found in most human tissues. It is also found in most biological fluids such as saliva, urine, blood, and feces, but it is also used in the automotive industry, which is described below.
Propylene glycol (PG) antifreeze:
The maintenance of a personal car engine is an important factor that most people pay attention to it. In general, small explosions are the driving force of internal combustion engines that occur in the car compartment, these explosions along with the movements of the cylinder can increase significantly the engine temperature. This can damage the engine in the long run. Extremely low temperatures in cold regions are other factors that can affect the useful life and health of your car engine. In both cases, the use of a material that has a high-temperature tolerance can greatly help the efficiency of the engine or its useful life or prevent corrosion of various engine parts. This chemical is known as antifreeze. Antifreeze protects your engine from freezing while protecting the components from corrosion and plays an important role in maintaining the engine’s heat balance by eliminating excess heat.
In the production of antifreeze, chemicals generally play an important role, one of these chemicals that has a very high-temperature tolerance and is widely used in the production of coolant, is propylene glycol. This chemical is in the category of industrial chemicals of Shanghai Chemex Company. This chemical is an organic compound that is a viscous and colorless and odorless liquid that has a relatively sweet taste, this organic compound is also known as methylene glycol. Propylene glycol is usually not used alone as antifreeze and is mixed with water in a ratio of 50 to 50. In the formulation of coolant production based on propylene glycol, other additives are usually used, the most important of which are Sodium silicate, dextrin, disodium phosphate, denatonium benzoate, etc. Usually, when the antifreeze paint containing propylene glycol turns brown, it is time to change it.
The advantages of using mono propylene glycol in antifreeze:
- The use of mono propylene glycol Provides excellent protection for the engine against freezing, boiling, and corrosion while maintaining heat transfer properties.
- PG Helps prevent the accidental poisoning of pets.
- This organic chemical Helps protect wildlife and the environment. It is a propylene-based antifreeze that requires the use of a special ball tester to check its freezing point.
- Ethylene glycol is also used in the production of coolant. Although propylene glycol is less toxic, it should be noted that ethylene glycol can provide a lower freezing point and more propylene glycol to reach the same freezing point. needed. It also has a lower viscosity and viscosity and can be much more effective in heat transfer.
However, the choose of these materials to use as antifreeze depends on their application and the extent of their contact with the environment, human contact, and so on. For example, propylene glycol is used in aircraft to prevent snow from freezing and shrinking in winter.
Read more: Calcium Chloride
Important points about antifreeze:
- Antifreeze paint has nothing to do with its quality
- The same color of coolant is not a reason for the same quality and should not be added together;
- In the case of dilution, the information on the antifreeze container must be followed;
- Water used in coolant should have a very low hardness (deionized);
- coolant usually does not produce foam. Floor observation can be due to the entry of air into the water pump suction system, in which case the radiator should be completely drained and all interface pipes and washers should be inspected and defective parts repaired.
Consequences of not using antifreeze:
Based on the points mentioned, we are familiar with the importance of using antifreeze, but we should know that not using antifreeze can also have many undesirable consequences.
For example, not using antifreeze can cause the engine to malfunction because of the excessive temperature of the parts.
Not using coolant can also affect the efficiency and effectiveness of the engine and thus increase its fuel consumption.