Calcium chloride is an ionic compound. Normally, it is available as white crystals, but it is also present in solution form. It is composed of calcium and Chlorine. the chemical formula of this ionic compound is CaCl2. It is an odorless powder and also has a sweet taste and easily soluble in water. this mineral compound can also be dissolved in alcohol and it’s also a wide use material in industrial applications.
Increasing the temperature can effective in expanding the solubility of this material. Calcium chloride can also show good moisture absorption. air and humidity can affect the chemical structure of this material and this point should be considered in the discussion of its storage of it. aluminum sulfate is a Similar product of this mineral.
These compounds are mainly used for defrosting and dust control. In some pools, it is used as a cleaner and in some laboratories and industrial units as a dryer, the only difference between this substance and NaCl is in its structure, calcium replaces sodium.
The absorption feature of this salt can be used in industrial factories or at home for use in kitchens and cabinets.
The chemical structure of calcium chloride is shown in the figure below:
Physical and chemical properties:
As mentioned, this salt has a high solubility in water and its reaction to dissolve in water is an exothermic reaction because the enthalpy of this reaction is negative. It is partially soluble in alcohol and is more soluble in glycerin than alcohol. Shanghai Chemex is one of the most reputable manufacturers of this chemical in the world.
The following table identifies the most important physical and chemical properties of this material:
|Molecular weight (g/mol)||110.98|
|Melting point (°C)||772|
|Boiling point (°C)||1935|
|Solubility in water||Fully compatible|
Synthesis and production:
To produce calcium chloride, we need Calcium oxide. in the first stage. Lime enters the reactor with the specified amount. Inside this reactor, calcium oxide is mixed with a certain amount of saltwater, and a reaction is performed to produce a product called Limewater.
During various operations, CaCl2 can be obtained in pure form and magnesium hydroxide in crude form. Magnesium hydroxide and CaCl2 can be obtained in the filter press. At this stage, magnesium hydroxide is produced in the form of cake with some moisture. The filter press solution, which is pure CaCl2, enters the concentrate.
The process continues after cooling and drying operations. To achieve the proper concentration, the concentrated calcium chloride solution is sent from the lower part of the system to the top and the part of this solution that has the required concentration is sent for final drying.
Applications and uses of calcium chloride:
- Liquid CaCl2 plays an important role in the food industry. it is used as a flavoring agent and adds to the quality of food flavor.
- In the agricultural industry, CaCl2 is widely used and if this substance is used as spray-on fruits and vegetables, it can increase the shelf life and quality of products and increase the amount of calcium in the material.
- Calcium chloride is used to supply and increase the minerals in beer when it is boiled, and it helps the yeast to function during the fermentation process, which increases the quality of the beer’s taste and smell.
- It is used in the production process of milk and leads to a balance between calcium and casein protein to make cheese. It is used for animals at critical times to provide adequate calcium-rich diets during pregnancy or lactation.
- This salt is used in the chemical and manufacturing industries, such as the production of replicates and the production of various types of calcium salts.
- This mineral is used in the immediate treatment of some diseases such as heart disease, arrhythmia, and its excessive consumption blocks the body’s calcium channel.
- Calcium chloride is important both for bone and tooth formation and can have a positive effect on muscle operations, greatly improving the transmission of muscle messages.
- This mineral can be used as an antifreeze and freezing point reducer. Simultaneously with reducing the freezing point, calcium water is used to prevent water freezing, especially on road surfaces.
- Since the moisture absorption capacity of this material is very high, it is used in household and industrial dehumidifiers so that the drying pipes are regularly covered with calcium chloride.
It is better to observe all safety items such as the use of gloves and safety glasses and also the use of special clothing when working with this material. In case of direct contact of this material with the skin, wash the contact area immediately with soap and water and avoid direct contact with it. Avoid it with the eyes as it can damage it. Wear long-sleeved clothing and a helmet.
Transporting and storage:
The storage of calcium chloride should be equipped with a proper ventilation system so that small particles do not enter the respiratory system. Store this material in a cool and dry place away from heat.