Propylene glycol, as its name implies, is a chemical from the family of alcohols. In appearance, it is naturally high in viscosity, transparent and colorless. Unlike most chemicals, it is odorless and tasteless. In the structure of this alcohol, carbon, oxygen, and hydrogen have been used and CH₃CHCH₂OH is its chemical formula.
This alcohol is also produced in food grades and it is used in the food industry as a preservative or to maintain its quality and taste. It is a suitable solvent and like acetone, it is used as a lubricant in industrial applications such as medicine. This material, like acetone, glycerin, and polyethylene glycol, can be used in cosmetics to prevent dry skin to some extent. For PG, other names such as propanediol Dihydroxy, peroxide Methyl ethyl glycol, Trimethyl glycol are also used.
This substance is in the category of industrial chemicals of Shanghai Chemex Company.
Physical and chemical properties of propanediol Dihydroxy:
This alcohol is compatible with ethanol, diethyl ether, acetone, and chloroform and forms uniform solutions. As mentioned, propylene glycol is an organic compound and its structure is as follows:
The most important physical and chemical properties of This organic compound can be summarized in the table below:
|Molecular weight (g/mol)||76.09|
|Density (g/cm³ at 20 °C)||1.036|
|Melting point (°C)||59-|
|Boiling point (°C)||188|
|Flash point (°C)||107.22|
|Vapor Pressure (mmhg)||0.08|
Production of propanediol Dihydroxy:
PG is produced in both industrial and laboratory grades. Industrial propanediol Dihydroxy can be prepared in two ways. Both methods use propylene oxide. In a method that does not have a catalyst, the reaction needs to be done at a high temperature about 220-200 degrees Celsius and high pressure, but in the presence of a catalyst, such as a small amount of sulfuric acid it can be done at low temperatures about 150-180 degrees Celsius, it can also be made from glycerin, but the final product does not have the required quality.
PG uses as an ingredient in engine coolants, deicing fluids, and antifreeze. It has replaced ethylene glycol as the base fluid for aircraft deicing formulations and a coolant in the food industry. Propylene glycol is preferred over ethylene glycol due to its much lower toxicity.
Application and uses of PG:
- In the food industry, the moisture-absorbing properties of propanediol Dihydroxy are used so that it can prevent food from drying out. This substance can be used as an antioxidant and increase the shelf life of food. And prevent food from sticking together.
- PG is used in many packaged foods such as soy sauce, soft drinks, or some beverages.
- propanediol Dihydroxy has a special application in antifreeze products. This organic compound is added to the radiator water and it can reduce the point or freezes.
- It can act as an emulsifier or surfactant.
- This solvent Used in the resin industry in the production of some polyester resins. During this process, propylene oxide reacts with a mixture of unsaturated maleic anhydride and isophthalic acid.
- In acrylic paints, water-based paints PG is used to dry them faster.
- propanediol Dihydroxy is widely used in the aerospace industry, aircraft engine cooling.
- PG is used as a smoke-generating vapor and nicotine transporter in cigarette liquid production.
Application of propylene glycol in cosmetics:
propanediol Dihydroxy is used as a lubricant in cosmetics and makes the skin maintain its lightness and freshness. PG is commonly used as a solvent in products. PG can dissolve substances that are not very soluble in water. This means that you will eventually come up with a more effective product because the dissolved ingredients can be better spread and penetrate your skin.
Gradually, the skin loses many factors and no longer has youthful travail. One of these factors is excessive dehydration of the skin, which causes wrinkles and roughness. This solvent is Widely used in creams and lotions, it prevents the loss of skin moisture and maintains skin freshness, prevents the growth of bacteria, and plays the role of skin and hair care.
Safety of propanediol dihydroxy:
Direct contact of This solvent with body parts should be avoided and special glasses, gloves, and special clothing should be used
- If PG enters the human eye, it should be rinsed immediately with water.
- If This organic compound comes in contact with the skin, it will cause pain, itching, and inflammation. The contact area should be thoroughly washed with soap and water, and in case of more acute cases, it should be referred to medical centers.
- If swallowed, do not induce vomiting. If he is still awake, give him one or two glasses of water and call the emergency medical center immediately.
Transporting and uses propanediol dihydroxy:
This alcohol is considered a stable material that does not require special conditions for storage. Propylene glycol can be stored in closed containers for a long time because they are not corrosive and can be easily transported. It is better to store these materials away from heat and direct sunlight.
Shanghai Chemex is one of the most reputable chemical suppliers of raw materials in the world, contact us for your order and supply of chemicals.