A non-oxidizing biocide based on quaternary ammonium according to its structural formula is called dodecyl dimethyl benzyl ammonium chloride. In short, it is called DDBAC and it is in the group of cationic surfactants.
It is very soluble in water and has low toxicity and It is very easy to work with this material and it is not affected by water hardness.
Physical and chemical properties:
|Molecular weight||340 g|
|Appearance||colorless or yellowish liquid, has a slight smell of almonds.|
|Melting point||244 ºC|
|Boiling point||155 ºC|
Uses of DDBAC:
DDBAC has many applications in the pharmaceutical, food, cosmetic industries, detergents, oil and gas, animal husbandry and hospitals. It is also used in the reverse osmosis system of municipal wastewater.
In dyeing, it is used as anti-static, anti-mold, modifier and emulsifier. It is used as a softener in cosmetic products, detergents and disinfectants.
Uses of DDBAC in oil and gas industry:
In the oil and gas industry, this material can easily control bacteria, viruses, fungi and algae. Of course, preventing the production of sludge is one of the other uses of this material in this industry. This substance easily penetrates sludge and algae and destroys them. It is also present in corrosion inhibitors, emulsifiers and sludge breakers to improve the oil recovery process.
DDBAC is considered a dangerous but non-toxic substance. It is better to familiarize yourself with the safety tips before working with it.
- Use gloves, goggles and protective clothing when working with this material.
- Avoid eating, drinking and smoking, during working.
- Swallowing, inhalation and skin contact of this substance is dangerous.
- The contact of this substance with the eyes causes serious damage to that area. In case of contact, wash the affected eye with water for 15 minutes.
- It is not irritating to the skin, but it is better to wash the skin after contact with it. In some cases, it can cause skin burns.
- If you inhale this compound, leave the work environment and breathe fresh air.
- This substance is very toxic to aquatic life and should not be released into the environment.
- The best material to extinguish the resulting fire is dry chemical, carbon dioxide and resistant alcohol foam.
Minimize the risks of working with this material by observing safety precautions.
DDBAC is a non-oxidizing biocide in the group of cationic surfactants. It is in the form of a colorless or yellowish liquid with an almond-like smell. It is very easy to work with this material and therefore it has many uses in various industries. This material is not a toxic compound, but it is dangerous and safety precautions should be observed when working with it.