HPMC stands for Hydroxypropyl methylcellulose, also known as hypromellose. It is a semi-synthetic, neutral, and viscoelastic polymer.HPMC is a water-soluble, biodegradable, and biocompatible polymer that has a wide range of applications such as Pharmacology, dyeing, cosmetics, adhesives, coatings, agriculture, and textiles. Shanghai Chemex is one of the most reputable suppliers of this chemical in the world.
Physical and Chemical Properties:
HPMC is a solid substance and is white to cream powder in appearance and may be granular. This compound forms a colloid when dissolved in water. It is non-toxic and combustible and can react strongly with oxidizing agents. Hypromellose in an aqueous solution, such as methylcellulose, exhibits thermal gelling. This means that when the solution is heated to a critical temperature, it becomes a non-flowing but flexible mass. These properties are quite similar to the concentration of the methoxy group; The most important physical and chemical properties of this compound can be summarized in the following table:
|Product Name||Hydroxypropyl methylcellulose|
|Solubility in water||soluble|
|Solubility||Soluble in most polar organic solvents
Insoluble in diethyl ether, acetone, and anhydrous alcohol
|color||White to cream|
|Synonyms||Hydroxypropyl methylcellulose; hydroxypropyl methylcellulose; HPMC|
|Chemical Structure Depiction|
HPMC production process:
It is a semi-synthetic compound. Semi-synthetic means that the compound produced is extracted and purified from natural sources. Cultivation in laboratory environments and extraction of materials from plants leads to the production of semi-synthetic chemical compounds such as cellulose derivatives, which are used as raw materials for the preparation of other similar compounds. These compounds, like the HPMC polymer compound, are high-weight molecules and are almost complex in molecular structure. This compound is produced by purifying fibrous plant materials with sodium hydroxide methyl chloride and propylene oxide.
R cell–OH+ NaOH+ CH3Cl +CH2OCHCH3→R cell–O–CH2OHCHCH3 + NaCl + H2O
Hydroxypropyl Methylcellulose Uses:
The most important applications of HPMC are as follows:
- In the tile adhesive industry: This material is used in building materials such as tile adhesive, which is used as a rheology modifier and water-retaining material.
- Pharmaceutical industry.
- Application in paint and coating industries: Used as a thickener, dispersant, and stabilizer in the coating industry, it has good solubility in water or organic solvents and is also known as a paint cleaner.
- Production of gypsum products.
- Usage in the production of cosmetics – detergents.
- Provide eye contact lenses.
- Production of eye drops.
- Production of whole-grain bread and cereals containing gluten: Use of vegetable HPMC as a substitute for gluten in the preparation of oatmeal and other bread.
- Use as a creator of geological properties and water-retaining material in building materials.
- In the plastics industry, it is used as a reducing, softening, lubricating, etc.
- Used as a dispersing agent in PVC production.
HPMC in the Eye Drops:
Hypromellose solutions have been approved as a semi-synthetic alternative to artificial tears. Its molecular structure is based on a celluloid compound that is highly soluble in water. This compound lubricates the cornea, thus reducing eye irritation and preventing dry eyes.
Buy Hydroxypropyl Methylcellulose:
Shanghai Chemex is currently one of the suppliers of chemical products in China, which sells HPMC in food and industrial grades with the best price and quality. Contact our experts to buy Hydroxypropyl methylcellulose and place an order.
Safety Information :
Very serious allergic reactions to this drug are rare. See a doctor immediately away if you have a severe allergic reaction to this compound, including itching, redness of the skin, blistering, tightness in the chest or throat, difficulty breathing, and hoarseness.
- Skin Contact: Immediately flush skin with water.
- Inhalation: move the person to the fresh air.
- Eye Contact: Rinse eyes with water for at least 15-20 minutes.
- Ingestion: Do not induce vomiting. Get medical aid immediately. Call a poison control center.
Packing and Storage:
Keep the container tightly closed in a dry and well-ventilated place. Store away from incompatible materials.
There are no reviews yet.