Sodium Lauryl Ether Sulfate (SLES)
Sodium lauryl ether sulfate (SLES), also known as Texapon.
It is widely used in the manufacture of personal care products such as detergents, soaps, shampoos and toothpaste.
It Is an anionic surfactant with CH3(CH2)11(OCH2CH2)nOSO3Na chemical formula that is match able with both fat and water.
Apart from sodium lauryl sulfate (SLES), ammonium lauryl ether sulfate and sodium are widely used as surfactants in the production of cosmetic products.
Some Properties of these materials
- Foaming agent
- Cleaning and emulsifying agent
Chemical and Physical properties of SLES
Texapon or Sodium Lauryl Ether Sulfate (SLES) applications
- One of the important uses of this substance as a detergent is a wide range of products such as creams, lotions, soaps, shampoos, and face cleansers, toothpaste and personal care products.
- It is used in medical, antimicrobial and agricultural chemicals
- One particular application of this material is its use in catalysts, adsorbents, anionic converters, stabilizers and polymer fillers.
The principal surfactants application in shampoos is to convey the shampoo cleansing properties through the washing process. There are a wide variety ranges of these surfactants, but mainly anionic surfactants are used for this kind of applications. Because of less irritation property and high foaming property of ammonium salts many manufacturers increase the dosage of this product as a surfactant in cleaning products .
The advantages of sodium salt
1.It is less PH sensitive.
2.The synthesis of sodium salt is cost-effective.
3.The foaming property of sodium salts is stronger and is more sustainable than ammonium salts.
SLES is synthesized by ethoxylation of dodecyl alcohol, that is manufactured industrially from natural oils like coconut oil. The final ethoxylate is transformed to a half ester of sulfuric acid, that is neutralized by changing it to the sodium salt.
flourish knowledge of people due to cleanliness all over the world will likely augment demands for sodium lauryl ether sulfate or SLES market in recent years. Global appeal for laundry detergents was around 30 million tons in 2015 and will speed up at over 5% CAGR in years ahead.
As the health effects of this product we can say that Sodium lauryl ether sulfate is counted as a skin, eye, and lung irritant and also it can include carcinogenic materials like 1,4-dioxane among the production process. other detrimental by-products of the production process may include ethylene oxide, which is counted as carcinogenic substances in the environment.
- Jamal, S. H., Yunus, W. M. Z. W., Kasim, N. A. M., Khim, O. K., & Ahmad, M. (2015). PREPARATION AND CHARACTERIZATION OF SODIUM LAURYL ETHER SULPHATE MODIFIED LAYERED DOUBLE HYDROXIDES. Jurnal Teknologi, 76(3).