An organic compound in the form of a white odorless solid, Is Acrylamide. This substance with the formula C3H5NO is a toxic, volatile and dangerous substance and is usually use in the form of an aqueous solution. Acrylamide is made in some cooked foods through a chemical reaction between sugars and an amino acid (asparagine). This organic compound has always been present in cooked foods but was first discovered in 2002. Of course, except for food, this compound can be found in products such as plastic, grout, cosmetics and water treatment products. One of the main derivatives of this substance is polyacrylamide, which is a water-soluble polymer with very little toxicity. Polyacrylamide is used in water treatment as a flocculant.
Physical and chemical properties:
|Molecular weight||71.079 g|
|Appearance||Odorless white crystalline solid|
|Melting point||184.1 ºF|
|Solubility||water and some organic solvents|
Production of Acrylamide:
This substance can be made by hydrolysis of acrylonitrile:
CH2=CHCN + H2O → CH2=CHC(O)NH2
This reaction is catalyzed by sulfuric acid and metal salts.
Main sources of Acrylamide:
The main food source of Acrylamide is fried potatoes and potato chips. It is also find in bread, cookies, breakfast cereals, canned black olives, plum juice and coffee.
Of course, the levels of this substance in food depend on the time, method and temperature of cooking and are different from each other. Apart from food, cigarette smoke and tobacco also contain this substance.
What foods contain and do not contain Acrylamide?
This substance can find in vegetable foods such as potatoes during high-temperature cooking such as frying. Acrylamide is also find in coffee or cereal. But dairy products, meat and fish do not contain this organic compound.
Acrylamide is a toxic, dangerous and volatile substance, and it is better to use protective clothing, glasses and gloves when working.
- This substance is a skin irritant and can cause tumors or skin cancer. It causes allergic reactions in some people. In case of skin contact, change clothes and wash the affected area with plenty of water.
- The contact of this substance with the eyes causes irritation. After contact, wash eye with plenty of water.
- Inhaling and swallowing this poisonous substance is dangerous.
- Store this organic compound in a closed container in a dry, well-ventilated place. This substance is sensitive to light and it is better to keep it under inert gas.
- According to research, a large amount of this substance causes cancer in animals.
Reduce the risks caused by this chemical by following the safety tips.
Acrylamide is an odorless white crystalline solid that is toxic and dangerous. It can find in abundance in plant foods such as potatoes and grains. Of course, the amount of this substance in different foods depends on the cooking method, time and temperature.