The MBT accelerator is a sulfur-containing organic substance with the chemical formula C6H4NSCSH, also known as 2-mercapto-benzoisothiazole. This material is used as an additive in various industries, including rubber and plastic industries. Its main application is in combination with the vulcanization process or cross-linking of sulfur in rubber and it is usually used alone or in combination with TMTD, this material is used as a protection of polymers against oxygen and also ozone.
Physical and Chemical Properties:
This accelerator appears as a yellow powder. It has a slightly bad smell, and bitter taste, and is non-toxic. Insoluble in water and gasoline and soluble in organic solvents such as ethyl acetone, acetone, or benzene and dilute solutions of sodium hydroxide and sodium carbonate. The molecular structure of this substance consists of two benzene rings and 2- mercapto-thiazole; The most important physical and chemical properties of this compound can be summarized in the following table:
|Melting point (° C)||180-182 (351 to 358 °F)|
|Solubility||Soluble in dilute caustic soda, alcohol, acetone, benzene, and chloroform; insoluble in gasoline|
|Flash Point (°C)||243 (392 °F)|
|Color||Cream to light yellow|
|Chemical Structure Depiction|
Synthesis of MBT Accelerator:
This combination has been produced in many ways. In the industrial process, this product is produced through a reaction with high-temperature aniline and carbon disulfide in the presence of sulfur:
C6H5NH2 + CS2 + S → C6H4(NH)SC=S + H2S
This substance is synthesized from two raw materials called 2-amino thiophenol and carbon disulfide from the following reaction:
C6H4(NH2)SH + CS2 → C6H4(NH)SC=S + H2S
MBT Accelerator Uses:
2- Mercapto benzothiazole is an important part of the benzothiazole group. The main application of this material is in the rubber manufacturing industry and as an accelerator.
- The main application of this compound is as an accelerator in the process of vulcanization or cross-linking of sulfur in rubber, which improves the performance of the final product at a lower temperature and amount of sulfur. In general, this product is used as rubber additives in the industry. like TMQ antioxidant.
- Use this product in paper mills, as a corrosion inhibitor in oil fluids.
- It is used to protect polymers against air or ozone.
- In the mining industry to separate gold from other materials
- The salt in MBT can be used as a preservative for latex adhesives.
- In the chemical industry prevent corrosion and cutting of liquids.
- This material can be used in cooling towers to prevent the growth of microorganisms.
- This material is used as a plating agent, which means creating a metal layer on the surface of the material by applying electric current in the metallurgical and electrochemical industries.
- It is used in some pharmaceutical products as raw material and intermediate in some pesticides.
Inhalation: It May be harmful if inhaled. May cause respiratory tract irritation.
Skin: It May be harmful if absorbed through the skin. It May cause skin irritation.
Eyes: May cause eye irritation.
Ingestion: It May be harmful if swallowed.
Very toxic to aquatic life with long-lasting effects.
Skin Contact: Immediately flush skin with water.
Inhalation: move the person to the fresh air.
Eye Contact: Rinse eyes with water for at least 15-20 minutes.
Ingestion: Do not induce vomiting. Get medical aid immediately. Call a poison control center.
Packing and Storage:
The material should be stored in a tightly-closed container in a cool, dry, well-ventilated area. Separated from acids and oxidizing materials.