Menthol or peppermint essence is a waxy substance that is light in color and it is normally solid and has a pungent odor. C10H20O is its chemical formula.
This alcohol is extracted from peppermint oil and is used to relieve the symptoms of colds. The use of this drug as an ointment on the skin of the hand creates a feeling of coolness and is widely used to treat minor sore throats.
This organic compound is used as a medicine in the areas where the pain is felt and it is also widely used in relieving respiratory disorders such as consecutive coughs or sinusitis and is also useful in the treatment of headaches. This drug has very few side effects. This is what makes the use of this substance so popular.
This essential oil is quickly absorbed by the skin and eliminates the feeling of tiredness. This substance is also known by other names, names such as eucalyptus and in many cases, including dentistry for oral health, perfumery, skin and hair care, etc. are widely used.
It can also relieve various muscle cramps and be effective in treating high blood pressure. However, this substance is also used as a flavoring for the production of tobacco such as cigarettes, but it does not have a positive effect on reducing the harms of smoking.
Physical and chemical properties:
As mentioned, menthol is usually obtained from the mint plant, this alcohol in its structure is a combination of volatile oils of plants that have a positive effect on human health.
The most important physical and chemical properties of this substance can be summarized in the following table:
|Molecular weight (g/mol)||156.27|
|Melting point (°C)||37|
|Boiling point (°C)||212|
|Flash point (°C)||93|
|Solubility in water||Soluble in water (0.46 mg/ml at 25 °C)|
Menthol production process:
Menthol can be produced by both natural and artificial methods. This alcohol is the same dried mint essence that is obtained from mint and mint plants.
In the following, we will describe the production process of this product in detail:
At First, distillation is performed on the leaves of the mint plant and its oil and water are separated. In the next step, this oil is refined by filtration and finally, this organic chemical crystals can be obtained.
In the artificial method, thymol is used and hydrogenation operations are performed on it, which eventually leads to the production of this product.
Applications and uses of menthol:
First of all, it is necessary to point out that although many people consider menthol and eucalyptus to be one substance, and even though these two substances have many similarities, they are different in origin and are essentially two different substances.
There are many different applications of this organic, which we will examine the most important properties and applications of this substance:
- In medicine and pharmacy, this organic compound is used in the production of antitussive drugs and relieves airway congestion, and can also be effective in treating respiratory disorders, headaches, dizziness, and diarrhea.
- Oral health is an important issue today and paying attention to this can be very decisive. One of the applications of menthol is its use in the production of mouthwash products and similar products such as dental floss and mouthwash sprays. It’s cool is very pleasant for consumers.
- The cooling properties of this alcohol make it used in the treatment of diseases related to burns and various inflammations. This substance also maintains skin moisture and contributes to its happiness and freshness.
- This alcohol is a suitable alternative to mineral ice and has positive effects in treating and reducing stomach and intestinal problems.
- Menthol can also be used as an essential oil in the production of various perfumes
- It is used in pines to create air circulation, which strengthens the immune system and improves the function of the human skin.
the points that are important about menthol consumption:
Menthol is very dangerous in the oral and pure state and can have harmful effects on the body.
In some special cases, its use in the form of ointment can cause allergies.
Be careful in taking the dose and take it exactly according to the doctor’s advice so that it does not have any side effects.
Transporting and storage:
Use a cool, dry place to store it and keep it away from heat and sunlight.