Silica gel is a granular, transparent, and porous form of silicon dioxide that is synthetically produced from sodium silicate. This material is non-toxic, non-flammable, with low reactivity, and stable. Silica gel absorbs water, alcohol, amino groups, and phenols by establishing hydrogen bonds. One of the advantages of using it compared to zeolite and alumina, which are other moisture absorbers, is the high adsorption capacity of this material at low temperatures, which makes silica gel more popular. This material is used in places where a low temperature, medium water vapor pressure, and high absorption capacity are required. Shanghai Chemex is one of the most reputable suppliers of this chemical in the world.
Physical and Chemical Properties:
Silica gel is produced in two forms spherical (granular) and flaky and with different uses as a moisture absorber. Among the types of this product, we can mention white or colorless, blue, orange, and two types of H and WS, which are used in gas and petrochemical refineries to remove sulfur, nitrogen, hydrocarbons, and other heavy metals in high-pressure gas transmission lines.
|Molecular Weight (g/mol)||60.08|
Types of Silica Gel:
Silica gel is produced in different colors and diameters. In terms of color, it is produced in three types: colorless, blue, and orange. Considering the diameter and size, it also includes three types, A, B, and C.
- Type A: Contains grains with a diameter of 2.5 nm and dries the surfaces.
- Type B: with a diameter of 4.5 to 7 nm, is a liquid dryer.
- Type C: It has a porous structure and is used to prepare silica gel packages.
- Blue type: Its blue color is due to the presence of cobalt chloride and changes color by absorbing water. This type is limited due to the toxicity and carcinogenicity of cobalt chloride.
- Colorless type: There is no change in color by absorbing water, and moisture indicator cards can be used for their moisture content.
- Orange type: changes to green or colorless in contact with water.
Silica Gel Production Process:
Silicon dioxide is the main constituent of this material, which is produced by mixing sodium silicate and sulfuric acid under special controlled conditions, which include compounding, storage, and drying.
Silica Gel Used For:
Silica gel has many applications in industry as a moisture absorber, including in the industries in which it is used, the following can be mentioned:
- Oil, gas, and petrochemical industries
- Pharmaceutical industries
- Electrical and Telecommunication Industries
- Application in pet nests
- Military and aviation industries
- building industry
- Application in antiquities
- Packaging and transportation industries
- Application in jewelry shine
- Leather, bags, and shoe industries
In the following, we will become more familiar with some uses of silica gel:
Silica Gel in the Military Industry:
Due to the sensitive storage conditions of military equipment, Silica gel is used as a suitable material to absorb moisture and provide suitable conditions for storage and maintenance, and by using moisture indicator cards, the performance of this material in these conditions was assured.
How does Silica Gel Keep Jewelry Shiny?
Another use for silica gel is to put it inside jewelry boxes. Moisture in the environment can cause turbidity and staining of jewelry or even silverware and create an unpleasant appearance in them. To prevent this from happening, silica gel packs can be placed inside the box to prevent the accumulation of moisture in it.
Buy Silica Gel:
For information on how to purchase this product and place an order, you can contact our partners at Shanghai Chemex.
Silica gel is a nontoxic, nonflammable substance that reacts only with substances such as hydrogen fluoride, oxygen difluoride, strong acids and bases, and oxidants. The dust from the seeds of this substance is irritating for the skin, eyes, and respiratory tract and causes irritations including tears, flickering and slight pain, so all aspects of caution should be considered when using it.
Packing and Storage:
The packaging of Silica gel is offered in 25 kg bags and sachet bags with different dimensions and weights. Due to the high moisture absorption capacity of this material, it is possible to store it in environments free of any moisture.
There are no reviews yet.