Silicon oil is a term commonly used to describe a group of hydrophobic polymeric and monomeric compounds composed of oxygen-silicon bonds called organosiloxanes. This synthetic polymer is created during three stages of synthesis, hydrolysis, and polymerization. Silicone oil can have various properties and is used as a solvent in automobiles, military and aerospace equipment, medical equipment, and sports equipment such as treadmills. Shanghai Chemex is one of the most reputable suppliers of this chemical in the world.
Physical and Chemical Properties:
This polymer has high thermal stability (above 250 ° C) compared to other organic polymers due to the strong bonds between silicon and oxygen, which leads to unique properties and special applications in this material. Silicone oil is non-toxic, odorless, and non-flammable. Due to its lubricating properties and special thermal stability, silicone oils are used in many industries such as the rubber industry, plastic industry, pipe and hose industry, and the industry manufacturing various polishes and waxes.
|Melting Point (° C)||-59|
|Boiling point (° C)||150|
|Solubility in water||insoluble|
|Flash Point (° C)||300|
Silicone Oil Solvent:
Hydrocarbon and chlorine solvents such as trichloroethylene, perchloroethylene, and methylene chloride are the best solvents for silicon oil, but polar solvents such as alcohols and acetone will not be effective in dissolving them.
Formula and Structure of Silicone Oil:
Silicon oils are composed of linear duplicate chains of silicon and oxygen, and each silicon atom has two carbon substitutes, most of which are methyl groups. Silicone oils can have different degrees of polymerization. In other words, the average number of frequent siloxane groups in a polymer chain is from a few units to several thousand units. Replacing some methyl groups with phenyl groups or amino functional groups can change the way siloxane polymers react and function with other materials. Adding organic functional groups to this substance can activate siloxane polymers with other organic polymers and improve their performance; The formula of silicone oil is (C2H6OSi)n and its structure is as follows:
Silicone Oil Uses:
- Different grades of silicone oil are used in the processing, packaging, and production of coatings in foods. Silicone oil is added to cooking oils to prevent excessive foaming. In addition, it acts in the fermentation process of Delster and is used in making this drink.
- This oil is used for the production of rubber and plastics, and the production of various polishes and waxes; Because it has a shiny property.
- Silicone oils have hydrophobic and lubricating properties; As a result, they are a good combination for protecting surgical instruments. They are also used in general medicine and surgeries.
- Silicones used in personal care products are generally of various types and are available in cyclic, and linear. these materials make the products waterproof, increase resistance, increase permeability, and soften the skin.
- This widely used lubricant is also considered in the textile industry.
- Silicone oil is used in the production of various creams and ointments and is considered. Anti-flatulence medications, artificial tears, and some eye medications contain this oil.
- The heat and cold resistance of this odorless liquid have made it possible to use it in the aerospace industry.
- This oil is an important ingredient in eye surgery because it can move fluids to the surface of the retina and maintain the integrity between the retina and its colored epithelium.
- Silicone oil is used as a lubricant or thermal liquid oil or hydraulic fluid in different industries. it is used in the production process of molding products ( such as the production process of casting products, especially casting polyurethane, etc.).
- This oil lubricates treadmill parts. That is why it is sometimes called treadmill oil.
- Temperature stability and heat transfer properties make silicone oil suitable for heating baths and refrigerator dryers in laboratories.
- The properties of this oil make it a suitable material for preparing stainless solutions.
Can I use Silicone Oil in Resin?
The use of silicone oil in art is in the production of resin. Today, the resin is widely used in the creation of works of art and paintings. This material gives a unique feature to these works by creating beautiful cellular patterns. Resin is widely used in epoxy, abstract arts, making special ornaments, etc.
Silicone oils are not highly toxic. They may have a laxative effect and cause disorders of the central nervous system.
Packing and Storage:
Store in a cool, dry, well-ventilated area away from incompatible materials and foodstuff containers. Protect containers against physical damage and check regularly for leaks.