An inorganic compound that is the sodium salt of peroxydisulfuric acid is called sodium persulfate. This substance with the formula Na2S2O8 is a white solid and soluble in water.
|Molar mass||238.10 g/mol|
|Melting point||180 °C (356 °F; 453 K) decomposes|
|Solubility in water||55.6 g/100 ml (20 °C)|
This salt is obtained from the electrolytic oxidation of sodium bisulfate and its reaction equation is as follows:
2 NaHSO4 → Na2S2O8 + H2
The oxidation process is carry out in the platinum anode. Of course, the use of platinum rods causes problems in the salt production process. In this process, due to the ineffective evolution of oxygen, the product may contain impurities caused by platinum corrosion. For this reason, boron-doped diamond electrodes were proposed as an alternative to platinum.
Applications of sodium persulfate:
It is usually use as a radical initiator for polymerization reactions; It is also use for quick curing of low formaldehyde adhesives. On the other hand, this substance is use as a bleach in hair care products and as a substitute for ammonium persulfate for printed circuits. It can be used as a soil softener to improve soil and groundwater, make color materials, descaling agent, bleach activator and starch modification.
Store this material in a dry place, away from incompatible materials or mixtures, at a temperature of 15 to 25 degrees Celsius.
Sodium persulfate is a dangerous and oxidizing substance that can intensify fire; Read the safety tips when working with it.
- Swallowing this substance is harmful, after swallowing, rinse your mouth with water and drink plenty of water.
- Contact with this substance causes skin irritation, and in case of contact, wash the skin with water.
- This substance causes serious eye irritation, in case of contact, wash the affected eye with plenty of water for 10 minutes.
- Inhalation of this substance causes allergy symptoms, asthma or respiratory problems; After inhalation, leave the workplace and breathe fresh air.
Control the risks of working with this material by observing the safety tips.
This substance is a mineral compound with the formula Na2S2O8 as a white solid soluble in water.