Ferrous sulphate heptahydrate also is known as Iron (II) Sulphate is a blue-green crystal with the formula FeSO4.7H2O. Originally it was known as “green vitriol” or “copperas”. It is a water-soluble, acidic salt, produced during the manufacture of TiO2. It a cost-efficient source of iron, we supply this secondary product to a variety of sectors, where it is put to good use in numerous chemical and industrial applications.
Ferrous sulfate heptahydrate can also be dried and oxidized to create other useful forms of iron.
When dried, copperas turns into ferrous sulfate thermal monohydrate. With a high concentration of iron (around 30%), this by-product can be used as a valuable supplement in animal feeds. In its oxidized form, ferrous sulfate heptahydrate is a liquid source of iron that can be used in water treatment, biogas treatment, and mining processes. Shanghai Chemex is one of the most reputable manufacturers of this chemical in the world.
physical and chemical properties of Ferrous sulphate :
Applications of Ferrous Sulphate heptahydrate
- It is used as a lawn conditioner, and moss killer. See below for full details on the application.
- This industrial chemical is mainly used as a precursor to other iron compounds.
- It is a reducing agent, mostly for the reduction of chromate in cement.
- Like cobalt sulfate, it can be used in the manufacture of inks including iron gall ink.
- It is used as a mordant for wool dyeing.
- Ferrous sulphate ate can also be used to stain concrete and some limestones and sandstones a yellowish rust color.
- Woodworkers use ferrous sulfate solutions to color maple wood a silvery hue.
In horticulture, it is used for treating iron chlorosis (yellowing of foliage caused by iron deficiency). Although not as rapid-acting as an iron chelate, its effects are longer-lasting. It can be mixed with compost and dug into the soil to create a store that can last for years. Ferrous sulfate is sometimes added to the cooling water flowing through the brass tubes of a turbine condenser. It forms a corrosion-resistant, protective coating on the inside of the tube.
It has been applied for the purification of water by flocculation and for phosphate removal in municipal and industrial sewage treatment plants to prevent eutrophication of surface water bodies.
It is used as a traditional method of treating wood panels on houses, either alone dissolved in water or as a component of water-based paint.