Sulfamic acid is available in white or colorless crystals. It has high acidity and chemically is non-volatile and odorless. sulfamic acid dissolves easily in water and its aqueous solutions are common. It is compatible with alcohols, acetones, and nitrogen-based substances and it is soluble in them. This material is non-flammable. At temperatures above the melting point, it Decomposes into sulfate, sulfite, water, and nitrogen. Other names for this substance are amido sulfonic acid, Sulfa amidic acid, and amido sulfuric acid.
it is a high-performance cleaner. Its high concentrations have a corrosive effect on metals, but in moderate and low doses it is used as a cleaner for various industrial equipment such as household appliances
Physical and chemical properties of sulfamic acid:
sulfamic acid has a special structure that increases its acidity. Sulfur in the structure of this substance is attached to the hydroxide and amine groups by covalent bonds.
This material does not ignite easily, but if ignited, it can emit toxic gases. The physical and chemical properties of this material can be summarized in the table below:
|Molecular weight (g/mol)||97.10|
|Melting point (°c)||205|
|Solubility in water wt.% (80 °c)||47.08|
This product is produced during a reaction between sulfur trioxide, sulfuric acid, and urea. During this reaction, a lot of energy and heat is released, which can be dangerous.
The sulfamic acid production reaction can take place in two stages, in the first stage urea reacts with sulfur trioxide. This step should be done at low temperatures. In the second stage, by controlling the temperature to about 80 ° C, the production of impurities can be minimized, the product of the first reaction reacts with Sulfur ink and the Desired material is produced. The crystallization method can be used to achieve higher purity.
similar product: hydroquinone
Application and uses of sulfamic acid:
sulfamic acid used in various industries, due to its high acidity, it is used in polishing and scaling of industrial equipment, plating, and electrical purification.
- It is used as a bleaching agent in the paper production process. It is used as a catalyst in the process of preparing various resins such as urea-formaldehyde.
- Like boric acid it is used in agriculture industries, it can be a pesticide
- It is also used to stabilize chlorine. This material is used as a chlorine stabilizer in swimming pools and cooling towers.
- In the plastics industry, it is used as a factor in improving the properties of manufactured products and facilitates processability. This substance is used wherever there is a need for an improving agent that does not have the disadvantages of using mineral acids and has faster performance than organic acids.
- In the food industry, it can remove protein deposits from products.
- It is used in the cosmetics industry in the production of hair dyes, it is also a sulfating agent of organic compounds and is an important component in the production of industrial dyes.
The use of this strong acid in decriminalization has positive factors. For example, there will be no need for secondary washing. It is easy to carry and has no adverse effects. If accidentally used in high doses in the system, it does not have a detrimental effect on the metals of the system and removes sediments in the system.
sulfamic acid in high concentrations can cause burns, pain, or even corrosion of the skin, so gloves should be used. When this strong acid comes in contact with the skin, immediately wash it thoroughly with soap and water.
If you drink and swallow it, drink two glasses of water or milk and then go to medical centers. Inhalation of this substance can cause cough, shortness of breath, dizziness, and headache. If this happens, go to the open-air immediately and take a deep breath. In more severe cases, you should use oxygen or artificial respiration.
A work environment with this material must be well ventilated, safety must be fully observed and we must use gloves, safety glasses, and special clothing or aprons.
Transporting and storage:
The storage of this material should be free of moisture and direct sunlight can cause sublimation and storage should be well ventilated.
This material has high durability. Store it in closed containers, plastic, or fiber bags.