Trisodium citrate is the name of the citric acid salt which is abundant in citrus fruits and also synthesized in a laboratory method. Normally, trisodium citrate is available in white powder or white granules. It has a sour taste or in some cases a salty taste. Na3C6H5O7 is the chemical formula of this substance.
Sodium citrate salts are generally available in three different types, monosodium salts, disodium salts and, trisodium salts.
This chemical is chemically alkaline and easily soluble in water and it is not soluble in ethanol.
Trisodium citrate is naturally a stable substance and it is also biodegradable. Sodium citrate with citric acid is used to prepare buffer solutions compatible with biological environments. It is used as an antacid, especially before anesthesia in medicine, and in the food industry as a flavoring.
The use of this salt is very diverse, for example, in the production of many foods such as sweets, powders, processed cheeses, and carbonated beverages.
This salt is a very special agent for removing carbonate deposits from boilers without removing them from an operation and is also used to clean car radiators. The chemical structure of this substance is as follows:
in the following, we will be more familiar with this substance.
similar product: triammonium citrate
Physical and chemical properties:
As mentioned, trisodium citrate dissolves well in water and can regulate the amount of acidity. One of the interesting properties of this material is its synergistic properties with other chemicals. It has low reactivity and can cause a sour taste and aroma in a variety of food products and beverages.
Safe and non-toxic properties: the raw material for the preparation of sodium citrate from food, which is completely safe and reliable, does not harm human health
Here are the most important physical and chemical properties of this chemical:
|Molecular weight (g/mol)||258.06|
|Melting point (°C)||300|
|Boiling point (°C)||309.6|
|PH (g/100 ml water at 25 °C)||5|
|solubility in water||soluble|
Synthesis and production process:
To produce trisodium citrate, we need two substances, citric acid and sodium hydroxy. To produce this product, we can dissolve sodium bichromate in water. Or other methods of heating can be well heated.
At a certain temperature, stop the heating process of the solution and allow it to remain at this temperature for a while until the reaction is complete. In the next step, filtration should be done on the solution and after purification, finally trisodium crystals. Citrate is formed.
Trisodium citrate uses and applications:
The use of Trisodium citrate is very wide, it is used in several industries, the most important of which we will discuss below:
- This chemical is used in pharmacy and the production of drugs related to lung discomfort, in the production of drugs that relieve kidney disease.
- In medicine, the presence of this salt in the tubes for collecting and storing human blood is used, and delaying the reaction of citrate ion with calcium, delays the mechanism of blood clotting.
- It is used in the food industry as a suitable and widely used additive and can also have a preservative effect. For example, it is used as an emulsifying agent in dairy products and prevents it from spoiling. Other applications of this salt in the food industry can be mentioned as puffing agent in the production of creams, elastic agent in the production of pizza cheese, food flavoring, antioxidants in additives.
- to remove carbonate deposits in boilers, this chemical can be used and has a good cleaning effect, of course, it is also used to clean car radiators.
- This material is used as a buffering agent to adjust the amount of alkaline or acidic materials.
Side effects of using trisodium citrate can include pain in the abdomen and gastrointestinal tract, stomach, nausea and vomiting, dizziness, hypertension, seizures.
This product is safe for these applications, but you should avoid dust inhalation, eye contact, and prolonged skin contact, or you should use appropriate protective equipment when working with this material. You should also learn all the safety information of this material before working with it.
The International Organization has not reported any adverse effects on the human body. Of course, it should be said that trisodium citrate in the form of medicine can cause various side effects for the body. But oral of this substance has no adverse effects on the blood or human body.
Store this product in a cool, dry place away from heat.