White spirit clear liquid derived from petroleum distillation that has many applications as organic solvents in various industries. This chemical is known as mineral spirit, varsol, Stoddard solvent, petroleum spirit, or generally paint thinner. It is insoluble in water with the boiling point of 140-220.
There are three different grades and types of this component based on the function of solvent for hydrodesulfurization, solvent extraction, and hydrogenation.
Each type also contains three grades, such as:
1) Low flash grade
2) Regular flash grade
3) High flash grade
This classification is determined by the crude oil as a starting material and the type of distillation.
|8052-41-3||Stoddard solvent||Stoddard solvent is a US term corresponding to white spirit type 1|
|64742-88-7||ws type 0||medium aliphatic solvent naphtha (petroleum)|
|64742-82-1||ws type 1||hydrodesulphurized heavy naphtha (petroleum)|
|64741-92-0||ws type 2||solvent-refined heavy naphtha (petroleum)|
|64742-48-9||ws type 3||hydrotreated heavy naphtha (petroleum)|
its production is based on petroleum and hydrotreated kerosene with complex additives to prevent yellowing.
Application of White spirit
The main usage of this chemical is as a paint thinner. Also, it is mostly used, cleaning agent. Given below are some of its uses.
- Extraction solvent
- Cleaning solvents for auto parts and tools
- Degreasing solvent
- Solvent for aerosols, paint, wood preservatives, lacquers, varnishes, asphalt products
- Starter fluid for charcoal grills
- Thread cutting and reaming lubricant
- As an active ingredient in laundry soap
- Dissolve oil and grease in laundry stain
- To eliminate the contagious oil urushiol in poison ivy
- To clean screen painting
- Liquid-filled compasses and gauges
- As a major ingredient in automobile fuels/oil additives
- Cutting fluid in ultraprecision lathes
White spirit, mainly known as an irritant and its direct contact would lead to serious danger for the health of humans. Acute exposure can be risky to central nervous system depression.
Inhalation of vapors of this substance, contact with the skin and swallowing in the oral (swallowing) pathways has a relatively low toxicity.