Triethylene glycol is two-agent alcohol and its appearance is liquid with a relatively high viscosity, clear and odorless. C6H14O4 is the chemical formula of this alcohol. It is almost harmless in terms of safety but can be slightly toxic in long-term use. this alcohol is non-flammable. it is very similar to dihydroxy alcohols in terms of the chemical structure and physical and chemical properties.
In terms of solubility, it can be said that it is completely compatible with water and it is completely soluble in it. It is also completely soluble in most solvents such as ethanol or acetic acid, glycerin, pyridine, and also aldehydes. Ethylene glycol is very similar to glycerin in terms of physical and chemical properties and can be used as a glycerin substitute.
The chemical structure of this substance is shown in the following figure:
This alcohol has a very high moisture absorption property and also can absorb moisture from other materials. The use and application of this material are very wide. It can be used in the production of polyester resin or as a natural gas dehumidifier and in Air conditioning system, but the main application of TEG is its use in the preparation of vinyl polymer as a plasticizer. Shanghai Chemex company provides this chemical with high quality anywhere.
The following are the physical and chemical properties of this alcohol.
Physical and chemical properties of triethylene glycol:
Triethylene glycol has three ethylene groups in its structure, which are connected by an oxygen atom, and chain ends of it are two groups of alcohols. The most important physical and chemical properties of this material are summarized in the table below:
|Molecular weight (g/mol)||150.17|
|Freezing Point (°C)||-4.3|
|Boiling point (°C)||285|
|Flash Point (°C)||177|
Production of TEG:
In the industrial method of production of this alcohol, which we will discuss below, the high purity of this material can be produced.
In this method, pure ethylene oxide or a mixture of water and ethylene oxide is heated to prepare for the reaction. During the thermal process, ethylene oxide is converted to mono ethylene glycol (MEG), and diethyl glycol (DEG), and triethylene glycol (TEG) are produced as a by-product in small quantities.
To achieve high purity mono ethylene glycol (MEG), excess water needs to be evaporated and used in a few steps, during which the evaporators produce low-pressure heaters.
Raw glycol mixtures are rapidly classified into successive vacuum columns using catalysts. Numerous factors influence the purity of this material, such as the order of feeding.
Most ethylene glycol production units are adjacent to ethylene oxide production units, but there are also separate ethylene glycol production units.
This method is one of the most famous methods of production of TEG in the world and the quality of the product produced by it is very high.
APPLICATIONS AND USES OF TEG:
- Triethylene glycol is mainly used in the production of unsaturated polyester resins. In the textile industry, it is used as a lubricant to produce many natural and synthetic fibers.
- the freezing point of this solvent is relatively low, it can also be used in heat transfer fluids.
- Phenolic and epoxy resins are commonly used for long-term use of iron metal, and triethylene glycol plays an important role in the fabrication of these types of resins (zinc metal and its alloys should not be used in conjunction with ethylene glycol).
- It is used in the oil and gas industry for natural gas dehydration operations. During this operation, water is removed from the natural gas flow and the gas can reach the standards required for transmission in oil and gas pipelines. This process is essential to prevent the formation of hydrates at low temperatures and corrosion problems due to the presence of carbon dioxide and hydrogen sulfide. Used as a solvent in petrochemical processes. It is a drying agent in gaseous processes.
- Other applications of this material include its use in the industries of adhesives, lubricants and antifreeze, as well as the production of inks and dyes.
It is chemically non-flammable. The important thing about this alcohol which is very important is to follow all the safety tips. Contact with the eyes can cause burning or inflammation and swelling of the eyes, in case of this accident, it is better to wash with water for a few minutes.
If swallowed, this solvent can affect nerve function and cause dizziness. At the time of the accident, go to a health center and the stomach should be flushed.
The important point is that if consumed in large amounts orally, it can cause death. In this case, it is recommended to consume oral alcohol (ethyl alcohol) because this substance will compete with ethylene glycol for absorption in the body and prevents its absorption.
Therefore, it is necessary to observe safety and health tips and use safety glasses.
Transporting and storage:
This chemical is non-volatile and non-corrosive, suitable barrels should be used for storage, and its storage should be in a cool and dry place away from heat and direct sunlight.