2-Chlorobenzoic acid is an organic compound with the chemical formula Cl C6H4CO2H, which is used as a strong acid to make a variety of drugs, food additives, and dyes. This compound is one of the three chlorobenzene isomer acids and is incompatible with strong oxidizing agents and strong bases. Shanghai Chemex is one of the most reputable suppliers of this chemical in the world.
Physical and chemical properties:
The compound appears as a crystalline or fine fluffy white powder and is insoluble in water; The most important physical and chemical properties of this compound can be summarized in the following table:
|Appearance||Crystals or fine fluffy white powder|
|PKA (at 25℃)||2.92|
|Melting Point (° C)||142|
|Boiling point (° C)||285|
|Solubility in water||soluble in hot water|
ethanol: very soluble
|vapor pressure(at 25 °C)||0.001 h Pa|
|Form||White to off-white|
|Other names||ortho-Chlorobenzoic acid|
|Chemical Structure Depiction|
Formula and structure of 2-Chlorobenzoic acid:
2-Chloro benzoic acid is a mono chlorobenzoic acid and a 2- halo benzoic acid with the chemical formula C7H5ClO2 which has a chloro group in position 2. It is the conjugate acid of 2- chlorobenzoates.
O-Chlorobenzoic Acid Solubility:
Ortho-Chloro benzoic acid is not soluble in water. Due to the heat of this compound, by adding 2 M HCl, and 2M NaOH and mixing it with methyl 3- nitrobenzoate, it becomes soluble in water.
2-Chlorobenzoic Acid Production Process:
Methods for the preparation of chlorobenzoic acid include the oxidation of 2-chlorotoluene and the replacement of the amino group in Anthranilic acid with a chlorine atom. In the oxidation of 2-chlorotoluene, potassium permanganate is used. This method is recommended for relatively large quantities.
2-Chlorobenzoic Acid Uses:
- 2-Chlorobenzoic acids are also used in the manufacture of medicines, which is one of the ingredients of Whitfield ointment, which is used to treat fungal diseases of the skin and hair.
- This compound in the form of food additives prevents the growth of fungi, yeasts, and some bacteria. It is used as a pH regulator and preservative in food and the growth of microbes is used to keep food safe. like Calcium sulfate
- This compound is used in the production of many cosmetic products.
- Used in making paints
- It has a role as a plant hormone and a plant metabolite.
- Eye damage
- Causes skin irritation, redness, or burning sensation
- Irritation of the nose, throat, and lungs if inhaled, may cause coughing or shortness of breath.
- May irritate the digestive tract.
- Skin Contact: Immediately flush skin with water.
- Inhalation: move the person to the fresh air.
- Eye Contact: Rinse eyes with water for several minutes.
- Ingestion: Rinse mouth. Do not induce vomiting.
Packing and storage:
Store in a well-ventilated place. Keep the container tightly closed.