Benzotriazole is a chemical that is used as a ligand to form a complex and has many applications in industry, the most common of which is to prevent rust and corrosion of metals. This chemical is a corrosion inhibitor for metals such as copper and its alloys, silver, aluminum, cobalt, and zinc, which are relatively soluble in water and not easily degradable.
This compound is the result of the reaction of orthophenylene diamine with sodium nitrite and acetic acid.
Physical and Chemical Properties:
Benzotriazole, also known as BTA for short, has the molecular formula C6H5N3 and a molar mass of 119 g / mol. The appearance of this material is in the form of white burning crystals. It is soluble in alcohol, chloroform, and benzene, toluene, and dimethylformamide. This compound is relatively insoluble in water and can not be easily decomposed. It is also used as an inhibitor in photographic emulsions due to its high flexibility.
Due to its strong chemical and thermal stability as well as hydrophobicity, it is used in water treatment and drug production.
|Molar mass||119.127 g·mol−1|
|Melting Point||100 °C (212 °F; 373 K)|
|Boiling point||350 °C (662 °F; 623 K)|
|Solubility in water||20 g/L|
|Solubility||Soluble in ethanol, benzene, chloroform, toluene, DMF|
|Flash Point||170 °C (338 °F)|
|color||white to light tan|
|Chemical Structure Depiction|
Structure and Formula of Benzotriazole (BTA):
This substance is a heterocycle compound with the chemical formula C6H5N3. Benzotriazole has two nitrogen rings in its chemical structure which are produced by the fusion of the benzene ring, this point causes the stability and resistance of the molecule.
This compound consists of two five-membered rings that include tautomers A and B, and derivatives of both tautomers can form structures C and D.
Benzotriazole Production Process:
It is synthesized from the reaction between orthophenylenediamine, sodium nitrite, and acetic acid. It is done at temperatures of 5 to 10 degrees and in an ultrasonic bath to improve the reaction. The purity percentage of the product is slightly higher than 98.5%.
<img ” style=”text-align: center !important;” class=” wp-image-8146 aligncenter” src=”https://shanghaichemex.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/download-3-300×50.png” alt=”Benzotriazole synthesis” width=”504″ height=”84″ />
Applications and Uses of BTA:
Benzotriazole is a very widely used chemical in various industries.
- It is used as a corrosion inhibitor in the atmosphere and underwater.
- It is used as an antifreeze, hydraulic fluid, dishwashing detergents, in aircraft dryers, in aircraft antifreeze, and as a stabilizer for bronze objects.
- This compound is used as a corrosion inhibitor – anti-corrosion – for metals such as copper and its alloys, aluminum, etc.
- Used as an inhibitor in photographic emulsion.
- In essence and natural additives.
- As a pigment.
- Application in cleaners used in plating processes.
- Used as an antioxidant in lubricating oils, hydraulic oils, brake fluid, and transformer oils.
- In the chemical industry, it is used in the production of pesticides, insecticides, and other chemicals.
- It is widely used in the production of light-sensitive chemicals as well as in the production of laboratory chemicals.
- It is also used in heating and cooling systems.
Benzotriazole (BTA) in Corrosion Control:
One of the most common methods of corrosion control is the use of disinfectants such as nitrates and chromates. Finding alternative compounds for these compounds is very important for environmental reasons. Benzoazole is one of these alternatives, which are chemically adsorbed on the surface of chemical adsorption by sharing the unbonded electron pair of nitrogen atoms with the empty metal orbitals, preventing its dissolution and corrosion.
This product consists of benzene and a tri-azole ring. The nitrogen atoms in the triazole ring form a bond between the copper, which inhibits the product.
Application in the Production of Pharmaceutical Products:
Heterocyclic compounds make up a wide range of drugs and are used to treat many diseases. One of the most important heterocyclic compounds is triazole derivatives. Triazole analogues such as imidazole, thiazole, carbazole, oxazole and benzimidazole are among the most important drug combinations. In recent years, researchers have conducted extensive research into the effects of benzotriazole on cancer.
- Inhalation of this substance can cause respiratory distress.
- Using this substance can cause itchy skin and eyes.
- It is flammable and its vapors form an explosive mixture with air. It should be kept away from heat and fire.
- Decomposition of this substance releases carbon dioxide and carbon monoxide.
- Skin Contact: Immediately flush skin with water.
- Inhalation: move the person to the fresh air.
- Eye Contact: Rinse eyes with water for at least 15-20 minutes.
- Ingestion: Do not induce vomiting. Get medical aid immediately. Call a poison control center.
Packing and storage:
Keep the container tightly closed in a dry and well-ventilated place.