Butyl di glycol or BDG is one of the organic compounds with the chemical formula C8H18O3 and is known by other names such as butoxydiethylene glycol, butyl dioxitol, and diethylene glycol monobutyl ether. This chemical solvent has low fluctuations and a high boiling point. As a result, it evaporates slowly. These properties make this compound one of the most important chemical solvents in the paint industry. BDG is in the category of Industrial chemicals of Shanghai Chemex group Ltd.
Physical and Chemical Properties:
Butyl di glycol is a clear, colorless chemical with a mild odor, high boiling point, and less volatility. The properties of this chemical are very similar to butyl glycol. This substance, like other glycol ethers, has a dual nature and has ether and alcohol functional groups in its structure. It is a water-absorbing solvent and can be mixed with water and most organic solvents such as methanol, ketones, diethylene ether, and carbon tetrachloride in any proportion; In the table below some of the chemical and physical properties of this product are mentioned:
|Appearance||Clear and colorless liquid|
|Melting Point (° C)||−68|
|Boiling point (° C)||230|
|Solubility||Soluble in water, ethanol, ethyl ether, and acetone|
|Chemical Structure Depiction|
Butyl Di Glycol Production Process:
Butyl di glycol is one of the common products produced by the reaction of ethylene molecules with n butanol using an alkaline catalyst. If at the end of this process the ratio of ethylene to butanol is more than two, then butyl di glycol is produced (along with triethylene glycol monomers).
Butyl Di Glycol Uses:
Butyl di glycol has many uses in the industry due to its unique properties. for example:
- Because the evaporation rate of this chemical compound is so low and also has a very high boiling point, it is used as a flow facilitator. For this reason, butyl di glycol is used to bake materials such as melamine and resin composites.
- Butyl di glycol is used as a solvent for various paints, especially paints that are exposed to air to dry (such as coatings and wood paints). Because the presence of this substance and butyl glycol in the structure of the paint can strengthen the Paint brushability and no trace of the brush remains on the work surface.
- One of the applications of this compound is the use of this chemical compound in firefighting, firefighters use BDG to produce fire-extinguishing foam.
- The organic compound butyl di glycol is widely used in the printing industry. In fact, this compound is one of the main ingredients in printing inks.
- Other applications of this chemical compound include the production of various cleaners to remove grease and oil contaminants from metals. In fact, butyl di glycol is one of the best color degreasers.
Buy Butyl Di Glycol:
To buy Butyl Di Glycol for various uses, you can contact our experts in Shanghai Chemex and get the latest prices.
Butyl di glycol is not compatible with oxidizing compounds and strong acids. Direct contact with this substance may cause skin inflammation, eye inflammation, and corneal damage. When using this substance, observe the precautionary aspects according to the hygienic instructions for working with chemicals.
Packing and Storage:
This chemical compound is usually stored and transported in iso containers or barrels made of mild steel or stainless steel. Also, note that the storage temperature of BDG should not be more than 40 ° C because it oxidizes at higher temperatures. The transport of this chemical is not dangerous but it is classified as a stimulant and should not come into contact with strong acids or oxidants during transport. If stored in proper conditions, it can last up to one year.
There are no reviews yet.