Methacrylic acid, abbreviated MAA, is an organic compound. This colorless, viscous liquid is a carboxylic acid with an acrid unpleasant odor. It is soluble in warm water and miscible with most organic solvents. Methacrylic acid is produced industrially on a large scale as a precursor to its esters, especially methyl methacrylate (MMA) and poly(methyl methacrylate) (PMMA). MAA occurs naturally in small amounts in the oil of Roman chamomile.
Physical and Chemical Properties:
|Molar mass||86.09 g/mol|
|Appearance||Colorless liquid or solid|
|Melting point||15 °C (57 to 59 °F; 287 to 288 K)|
|Boiling point||161 °C (322 °F; 434 K)|
Methacrylic acid Production:
- In the most common route, methacrylic acid is prepared from acetone cyanohydrin, which is converted to methacrylamide sulfate using sulfuric acid. This derivative in turn is hydrolyzed to methacrylic acid, or esterified to methyl methacrylate in one step.
- In the second route, isobutylene or tert-butanol are oxidized to methacrolein, then methacrylic acid. Methacrolein for this purpose can also be obtained from formaldehyde and ethylene. Isobutyric acid can also be dehydrogenated to methacrylic acid.
- It can also be prepared by decarboxylation of itaconic acid, citraconic acid, and mesaconic acid. Such green precursors are not of commercial value. It is, however, obtained by boiling citra- or meso-brompyrotartaric acids with alkalis.
Is methacrylic acid the same as acrylic acid?
The key difference between methacrylic acid and acrylic acid is that methacrylic acid molecule has a methyl group attached to the alkene group, whereas acrylic acid molecule has no other groups attached to the alkene group
Msds and Hazards:
- Methacrylic Acid can affect you when breathed in.
- this Acid is a HIGHLY CORROSIVE CHEMICAL and contact can severely irritate and burn the skin and eyes with possible eye damage.
- Breathing this chemical can irritate the nose and throat. High levels can affect the lungs causing coughing, wheezing and/or shortness of breath.
- this may cause a skin allergy. If allergy develops, very low future exposure can cause itching and a skin rash.
- Methacrylic Acid may affect the kidneys.
- this Acid is a REACTIVE CHEMICAL and an EXPLOSION HAZARD.
Buy Methacrylic Acid:
For information on how to sell this product and place an order, you can contact our partners in the Shanghai Chemex sales department.