Methacrylic acid (MMA) is a monomer with the chemical formula C4H6O2. Monomers are small molecules that can link together and create polymers. Trees and plants are made from a polymer named cellulose. Hair and nails are made up of a polymer known as keratin. On this occasion, MMA is also a small molecule that can repeat over and over to create polymers and copolymers like plastic.
How to buy methacrylic acid?
If you would like to know any further information about methacrylic acid`s price or buying this chemical item, our team at Shanghai Chemex will be delighted to help you with that.
Physical and chemical properties
MMA appears as a colorless and clear liquid with a strong, sharp, and unpleasant odor because it is classified as a part of the carboxylic acid family.
|Methacrylic acid formula
|Methacrylic acid cas no.
|1.015 at 68 °F
|Methacrylic acid boiling point
|Methacrylic acid structure
This chemical monomer can be polymerized if it exposed to heat or impurities. MMA can dissolve in water. It can also mix with other organic solvents.
Methacrylic acid Production:
- In the most common route, MMA is prepared from acetone cyanohydrin, which is converted to methacrylamide sulfate using sulfuric acid. This derivative in turn is hydrolyzed to MMA, or esterified to methyl methacrylate in one step.
- In the second route, isobutylene or tert-butanol are oxidized to methacrolein, then MMA. Methacrolein for this purpose can also be obtained from formaldehyde and ethylene. Isobutyric acid can also be dehydrogenated to MMA.
- It can also be prepared by decarboxylation of itaconic acid, citraconic acid, and mesaconic acid. Such green precursors are not of commercial value. It is, however, obtained by boiling citra- or meso-brompyrotartaric acids with alkalis.
Methacrylic acid uses
- This monomer can be used as a raw material in the manufacturing of textiles and leather.
- It is used as a monomer for producing plastics.
- Moreover, It is largely used in nail cosmetics to help acrylic nails adhere to the nail plate and also in other cosmetic products as a viscosity controlling agent.
This material can be hazardous if you breathe it in, and you should pay attention to the fact that it is able to burn the skin because of its corrosive properties, so it is important to wear appropriate clothing while working with this compound. Suitably fitting eyeglasses are also necessary.
Methacrylic acid side effects
Breathing this chemical can irritate the nose and throat. High levels can affect the lungs causing coughing, wheezing and/or shortness of breath. It cause a skin allergy. Actually If allergy develops, very low future exposure can cause itching and a skin rash.
The bottom line
Methacrylic acid is a monomer of plastic. It might be interesting to know that MMA has an important role in textiles and nail cosmetics. MMA appears as a colorless and clear liquid with a strong, sharp, and unpleasant odor. This monomer can be used as a raw material in the manufacturing of textiles and leather. Besides it is a monomer for producing plastics.
Frequently asked questions
1. What is methacrylic acid?
MMA is a monomer with the chemical formula C4H6O2.It is a small molecule that can repeat over and over to create polymers and copolymers like plastic.
2. What is another name for methacrylic acid?
2-Methylacrylic acid and 2-methylprop-2-enoic acid are the other names of this chemical compound. This monomer is briefly known as MMA.
3. What is the difference between acrylic acid and methacrylic acid?
Actually, the main difference is that MMA is mostly used in the nail polish industry, while acrylic acid is used in water treatment.
4. What groups are in methacrylic acid?
There is a methyl group and a carboxylic group in the MMA formula. It has a strong, sharp, and unpleasant odor because it is classified as a part of the carboxylic acid family.