Sodium bromide is a white powder with the chemical formula NaBr, which is a non-mineral chemical compound. The substance with square crystals is one of the main sources of bromide ion production and this compound can be prepared by the reaction of sodium hydroxide with hydrogen bromide.
Anhydrous sodium bromide salt crystallizes at temperatures above 50.7 ° C. It is the most useful non-mineral bromide in the industry.
Physical and chemical properties:
Sodium bromide is an inorganic compound that is in the dry form of a white crystalline powder with a salty and somewhat bitter taste. It is a white crystal or white granular powder with an odor of sulfur dioxide. Due to its solubility, it is not naturally solid. It is extracted from ocean water together with chlorides, iodides, and halites.
|Molar mass||102.894 g·mol−1|
|Appearance||White powder, hygroscopic|
|Odor||the odor of sulfur dioxide|
|Taste||Saline, feebly bitter taste|
|Density||3.21 g/cm3 (anhydrous)|
2.18 g/cm3 (dihydrate)
|Melting Point||747 °C (1,377 °F; 1,020 K)|
36 °C (97 °F; 309 K)
|Boiling point||1,390 °C (2,530 °F; 1,660 K)|
|Soloubility in water||71.35 g/100 mL (−20 °C)|
79.52 g/100 mL (0 °C)
94.32 g/100 mL (25 °C(
104.9 g/100 mL (40 °C)
116.2 g/100 mL (100 °C(
|Solubility||Soluble in alcohol, liquid ammonia, pyridine, hydrazine, SO2, amine|
Insoluble in acetone, acetonitrile
|Vapor pressure||1 torr (806 °C)|
5 torr (903 °C)
|Form||crystals, granules, or powder|
Chemical Structure Depiction
Formula and structure of sodium bromide:
Sodium is a positively charged radical, which is very unstable. The element reacts negatively charged bromide radical to form an ionic bond, forming a sodium bromide compound. this ionic bond is mostly stable.
Sodium bromide production process:
Sodium bromide can be prepared by several methods:
- NaBr is produced by treating sodium hydroxide with hydrogen bromide.
HBr + NaOH → NaBr + H2O
- Sodium bromide and sodium bromate are produced by the reaction between a solution of bromine and sodium hydroxide:
6NaOH + 3Br2 → 5NaBr + NaBrO3 + 3H2O
- Sodium bromide is the most useful non-mineral bromide in the industry Bromide element can be produced by purifying aqueous NaBr solution with chlorine gas.
2 NaBr + Cl2 → Br2 + 2 NaCl
Applications and Uses of sodium bromide:
- Like other bromides, it is used as a sedative for medical purposes.
- Sodium bromide is used in medicine as an anticoagulant, anticonvulsant and sedative.
- In the oil and gas drilling industry, the main consumer is sodium bromide.
- Used due to its antimicrobial properties due to bromine release.
- As the bromide ion is getting replaced by the ion of the more positively charged ions, sodium bromide is used as an antiseptic.
- Used as an antiseptic, detergent, and as a reagent in the pharmaceutical industry.
- Sodium bromide with chlorine is used as a disinfectant for hot baths and swimming pools.
- This chemical is used as a catalyst in oxidation reactions.
- Sodium bromide can be used as raw material in the preparation of the liquid photographic film.
- Used in the perfume industry to produce synthetic perfumes.
- Used as a bromine agent in the printing and dyeing industry.
- It can also be applied to inorganic and organic synthesis and pharmaceuticals.
Safety information of sodium bromide:
- Causes mild eye irritation
- May cause skin irritation. May be harmful if absorbed through the skin.
- May cause irritation of the digestive tract. Symptoms may include headache, excitement, fatigue, nausea, vomiting, stupor, and coma. May be harmful if swallowed.
- Inhalation of high concentrations may cause central nervous system effects characterized by nausea, headache, dizziness, unconsciousness, and coma. May cause respiratory tract irritation.
Skin Contact: Immediately flush skin with water.
Inhalation: move the person to the fresh air.
Eye Contact: Rinse eyes with water for at least 15-20 minutes.
Ingestion: Do not induce vomiting. Get medical aid immediately.
Packing and storage:
It is better To store it in a cool and dry place. Store in a tightly closed container and protected it from moisture.